Cover letter or covering letter is the first letter is basically an introductory letter about a person, company or organization. It carries first hand and most important information regarding the applicant in case of a job application.
Cover letters are used for the job application or applications for internships or observerships. They are really helpful in presenting a person’s qualification, skills, and qualities and helps the employer to shortlist the candidates even without personally meeting them.
Now we understand why a cover letter should be very effective and compelling. It is basically you without being actually present. So we need to add as much attractive and convincing details as possible.
Key components of a cover letter
The key features of a cover letter are very important to understand because it helps you in creating a better resume and increases your chances to get a dream job.
The main features in any cover letter are,
There are hellos and greetings and introduction in the salutation portion and we address the employer along with details about ourselves like name, address, and contact number.
It is the grab of a particular letter and it must be very strong because it is when the reader starts getting an idea of your personality.
- The hook
This makes the second paragraph of the covering letter and this starts getting to the point of convincing your reader.
- Paragraph with knowledge
This includes the details of the information you have provided in the previous paragraphs.
- The close
Closing sentences must be as strong as the opening sentences and they include the closing address and sometimes your name and signature. Do not consider it less important.
Mistakes to be avoided while writing a cover letter
- Repetition of words, this must be avoided to the maximum level. Nobody likes to read a single word again and again. For example, don’t use the word I, we repeatedly to give an impression of monotony and make things less interesting for the reader.
- Don’t use weak words for the opening. We must aim to convince the reader that hiring us or agreeing to this proposal is going to fulfill their interest rather than a favor to the one who is writing.
- Don’t forget to mention the details of your strong points. Often, we just mention them in a word and assume that the same has been conveyed to the reader. No, that is not the case. Make sure to emphasize the strong points of your proposal and don’t hesitate to elaborate. But again, the choice of words must be precise and effective in achieving the purpose.
- Be polite and don’t try to be arrogant or rude to the target audience. Of course, we do not want to sound passive or submissive. But we also don’t want to sound rude and stimulate the negative side of the reader which may hinder the achievement of our aim.
- Always sign the letter. Never miss the pre-requisites. Unsigned letters are not even considered.